Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My husband has had bowel cancer, and then chemo. The chemo

Customer Question

My husband has had bowel cancer, and then chemo. The chemo has caused blood clots in his lungs and leg, not DVT but he has to inject every twenty four hours. For the last twelve hours has suffered severe pain in his right hand shoulder and down his arm. I have consulted the Bath Clinic and they think * it is Sunday) that the pain is unrelated to his clots but from what I have read clots do cause pain. He also has arthritis. He has been on injections for six days. I wonder doyou think the pain is unrelated to the non DVT clots? I am quite anxious as it is the weekend.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query,Pain can be related to the clots as clots can go anywhere in the body and can lodge itself in any vein. I would suggest you should take him to urgent care or ER to get this evaluated for venous obstruction specially if there is swelling or discoloration associated with pain so that timely treatment can be given. Meanwhile he can take tylenol and apply ibuprofen gel for pain relief. Warm compresses can help.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.
Wish you good health.