How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64285
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

My 4 year old daughter had tonsillitis 2 weeks ago and

Resolved Question:

Hi, My 4 year old daughter had tonsillitis 2 weeks ago and following a week long course of antibiotics appeared better and returned to school last Monday. By Wednesdsy - 3 days after finishing the course of antibiotics, she started to burn a temperature during the night. However I could see no sign on the tonsillitis but her glands did appear up in her neck and a little under her arms.
Her appetite seems to have gone (only nibbling at food) she is complaining of constant pain in her legs (since last night) and seems disinterested in anything. I took her out for a walk today and she insisted on her buggy which still seemed like an endurance test for her. She is tired and sleeping a few times in the day - this has been for the last couple of weeks and has lost quite a bit of weight. I thought this was due to lack of eating with tonsillitis but appears to 'dropped off her' in the last couple of days.
Any thoughts? I hope to get an appointment tomorrow but if I can't should I take her to the drop in centre? Can I request a blood test for anemia? Or do you think this is related to recent illness?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloShe needs immediate re-evaluation.This can be a complication of strep can be viralIt can be mono, which antibiotics do not treat and she should get a monospot test.strep can also cause other syndromes as well, and infection elsewhere in children, such as the hipThis is not something to wait on.A final possibility is that the strep was resistant to the antibiotic she had.She should have a CBC, which will cover anemia, high white cells, etc. Don't waitGet her back to the doctor. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much - I will take this information to our doctor 1st thing in the morning. She is very lethargic. We are in the UK so I hope that our GP agrees with the tests. Thank you again. Cindy
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
If she worsens, take here to A&E.
Good luck
Let me know how it goes.
Please click a positive on the answer page: that is how we are paid along with bonuses.
DrRussMD and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do - thank you again
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome anytime
any questions