Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have suffered depression and anxiety and I was

I have suffered depression and anxiety for years and I was prescribed parnate and oxazepam because I had severe panic attacks and I was agraphobic.This medication worked wonders, but now I am seventy the parnate I only take 1 tablet 10mg seems to be giving me palpitations and missed heartbeats .I have now stopped taking the parnate and the palpitations have stopped but my anxiety is coming back, I feels so helpless.I know you have to wait 2 weeks before anything else is prescribed.The doctor I see now did not prescribe the medication as I have moved house , it was a phsychiatrist where I lived before , but he still does repeat prescriptions for me.I feel agitated at going to see him .
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.I am sorry that you have so much problems with depression and anxiety.Could you clarify what question you are asking?How can we be of assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know if there is an alternative drug to take than parnate for my symptoms because of the palpitations it is causing me
There are many medicines that can be used for depression and anxiety instead of the Parnate. The most commonly used medicines would be an SSRI, such as citalopram or sertraline, or an SNRI, such as venlafaxine or duloxetine. There is a good chance that you were tried on some of these medicines previously before the Parnate was prescribed, since these drugs have been available for some time. Doctors will usually try several of the traditional antidepressants before trying the Parnate. In that case, other options would be some of the newer antidepressants that have a unique mode of action, such as bupropion or vilazodone. Do you recall whether you were tried on any of these medicines before the Parnate was started?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not tried any of these medications
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does parnate cause palpitations
If you have not been tried on any of these medicines, then the usual choice would be be one of the SSRIs, such as citalopram. As you noted above, the new medicine should not be started until you have been off the Parnate for 14 days, but the SSRI can be started at that time. Yes, the Parnate can cause palpitations, either as a direct side effect, or as an increased sensitivity to chemicals in certain foods. Certain foods can contain chemicals that affect the autonomic nervous system, such as tyramine or glutamine, and someone taking Parnate can be more sensitive to these chemicals, and one of the possible symptoms would be palpitations.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.