Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My echocardiogram results severe hypokinesia of the mid/apical

Customer Question

My echocardiogram results severe hypokinesia of the mid/apical septum with moderate left ventricular impairment (ejection fraction 40%.moderate Bicuspid and mitral valve regurgitation.
Cardiac catheterization result: LMS Normal LAD Normal mid-LADO 1-49% Stenosis CX Normal RCA Normal. Have I got heart failure
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
an ejection fraction of 40% is below the normal of 50-55%
you have some weakness of your heart
you are at risks for heart failure or congestive heart failure if you drink too much fluids or salt, this can lead to fluid backing up in your lungs causing pulmonary edema or edema and swelling in your legs.
heart failure is not a yes or no issues.
it is a complex issue which can be gradual and take years for you to develop more and more heart weakness.
you may not have swelling in your legs or fluid in your lungs now, but over time, you can develop it.
do you have any swelling in your legs now?