Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am about halfway through my menstrual cycle and

Customer Question

Hi. I am about halfway through my menstrual cycle and for the past 4 days or so have been experiencing twinges where my ovaries are, just diagonally below the hip bones. Usually the right side, sometimes the left. Not too painful or prolonged but noticeable and not unfamilar. I am possibly more conscious of this this month as my last period came about 10 days early and I am usually very regular. I have just turned 40 and am wondering what these twinges could be.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
This could be alot of things from fibroids to endometriosis. You need an exam with pelvic ultrasound to be sure. That is the next step
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I heard this could simply be ovulation at this stage of the cycle?
I'm sorry about the late reply.Please don't rate negative.lets continueyes, it could be normal. absolutely
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sorry, I just found your answer a little brief and not much detail. I could have found that on Google.
We always will continue with you for more detail on JAI had to go offline.I'm sorry.Lets continue to get you all the help you need
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok well i am obviously just worried it could be something serious. I will see the Dr if it gets worse of continues. I cannot remember if I have had these twinges before but they started around when i should have been ovulating. Started on Friday. Also wonder whether they could be stress related.
They could also be a developing urinary tract infection or kidney stonesI think it is fine to wait and seeyou are not in any great danger by waiting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The other thing is I have had a slightly sore lower back since about October. I hardly notice it and it is really only when i bend over. Again hoping.not serious or related.
I don't think it is serious. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it isnt severe pain, no. Just worrying I could have early symptoms of something bad :( Guess i will go to the doctor if it hasnt stopped in a few weeks
I think that is a fine idea and I'm here if you need more helpplease don't forget a positive rating for me. I appreciate it