Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Severe vaginal pain, discomfort, itching, stinging, also have

Customer Question

Severe vaginal pain, discomfort, itching, stinging, also have fever and coughing though probably not related
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The primary concern in a woman having severe vaginal pain is that there is an infection, either of the vagina or of the female genital tract. There are several different types of infections that can occur. The most common is a yest vaginal infection, but there is usually more itching than pain and a white discharge. If the itching is also severe, then a yeast infection would be more likely. A bacterial infection or a parasite infection, called trichomonas, are also quite common, and would be the greater concerns if the pain is more significant than the itching. The proper diagnosis would involve an examination, including microscopic examination of vaginal mucus/discharge. Treatment would be oriented towards the identified germ, including vaginal anti-fungal medicines or oral antibiotics. In most countries, there are vaginal anti-fungal medicines available over the counter, but it is recommended that women use them after they have a known yeast infection and are more certain that there is a recurrence. If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Doctor.
The pain is worse than the itching. It stings more than itches. I have had this pain for two days now, and just got the multi-gyn floraplus today. Should this ease the pain? There is no white discharge. There has been spots of bleeding too, but not often. I find it hard to sleep, but when I do sleep I wake up sweating with a temperature. What would you advise I do now and are there any things I can do at home myself to ease the pain?
Since it stings more than itches and there is no white discharge, then it is more likely a bacterial infection. The Multi-Gyn Floraplus is intended to help promote healthy good germs in the vagina, which can help for either yeast or bacterial vaginal infecytion. While this is as good as can be done over the counter to relieve symptoms of a bacterial infection, it is better at preventing recurrences. The treatments that are better at eradicating the infections are the medicines noted above, so it is also recommended that women with these symptoms should see their doctor for a proper evaluation and treatment oriented towards the specific germ identified.