Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am not sure if you can help but we are at a bit of a

Hi, I am not sure if you can help but we are at a bit of a loss. My partner has a million symptoms but cannot really get to the bottom of it and he always feels embarrassed going to the doctors with a massive list. He has chronic diarrhoea, rarely eats, has continuous muscle spasms, difficulty walking (balance?), chronic insomnia, heartburn. He also never leaves the house. Where could we start for a complete overhaul - is even such a thing available? He also gets cluster migraines every 1-2 years for 2-3 months at a time. He has had a scan on his back and there is degeneration in some of the discs but nothing to warrant further treatment. He also had a colonoscopy which revealed polyps which were removed and also signs of problems with the pancreas. Sorry it is probably to much to ask but any suggestions would be welcome
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
Can you please list all the tests, including blood tests that he has had done?
Can you please enumerate all the medications that he is on at the moment?
Has he had a vitamin D level checked?
Has he had calcium and magnesium levels checked?
Has he been worked up for celiac disease with antibody levels or upper GI endoscopy and biopsy of the upper part of the intestine?
Please let me know.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I would have loved a call but I don't have all his details to hand as I am at work and he went to bed at 8am. Is this something I can come back to you later or tomorrow? Not sure if this is possible but want to make sure I give you the right information. I think Vitamin D has been checked but am unsure about calcium/magnesium (would presume as think magnesium deficiency causes spasms). Celiac disease hasn't been mentioned, nor has he had a biopsy of upper part of intestine. I will have to find out about blood test and confirm the medication names. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You can come back to me anytime and whenever you wish to have a phone call session anytime that you have all the information you can just accept the phone call offer and give me your phone number and I will call back.
I will be looking forward to your response.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is great, thanks very much
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, so ...
- blood tests: for Vitamin B, Liver, possibly celiac - all clear. No Vitamin D test
- MRI on all of back and neck: showing degeneration and wear of discs (he has scoliosis but wasn't diagnosed until adult life)
- Unsure if calcium and magnesium levels checked
- Medications: Sertraline (100ml) x 2 a day; Tramadol (50mg) supposed to be 4 times a day but hasn't been
- No upper GI endoscopy or biopsy of upper intestine
Currently it is the spasms that are the worst
thanks
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I think that with the spasms it is important to have the following things checked:
1. Calcium levels
2. Magnesium levels
3. Upper GI endoscopy and biopsy
4. Vitamin D level.
5. Thryoid hormone test if that has not been done already.
A derangement in any of these can lead to the symptoms that she is having and must be ruled out.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.Wish you all the best.If you ever have more questions do let me know.I would appreciate it if you rate me before you leave as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine