DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have had a root canal filling done a couple of years ago

Customer Question

I have had a root canal filling done a couple of years ago and I have had a second opinion and it has to be redone but as it was done the first time on nhs it cant be done a second time even though it was not done properly. I do not wish to return to the original dentist for obvious reasons, can I have another dentist carry out the procedure on the nhs as they say it wont be covered. I now have an abscess and require it to be fixed also I am a girl of 20 years and cant afford £1300 for private. Please help..
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI would first talk to the first dentist and see what he says.He ought to be willing to fix this free of charge.You can report him to the nhs if he does not, I would think.The other issue is if the tooth has to be pulled. Repeating a root canal over an abscess is often not feasible.An implant might be feasible.Please see these instructions. http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/nhs-dental-treatment-goes-wrong.aspx?CategoryID=74&SubCategoryID=742 OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.