Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I was told yesterday that I need to have a Endoscopy

I was told yesterday that I need to have a Endoscopy (camera down my mouth) as I been having acid reflux since last October and I'm now getting pain on my right lower back. Also yesterday I suffered with conception as well. I was in shock when the doctor told me and I asked if I can be put to sleep by gas as I have a problem with needles. He just laughed at me and said that I can ask to have some cream to prevent the pain from the needle. He did not leave me with great confidents.
I am very scared of the entire procedure - needle - being awake ect.
I just want to know if I can be put to sleep first with gas? Knowing that I can will put me with ease. Knowing that I need to have a tube down my mouth and also having a needle to make me sleepy scares the living day lights of of me. I have been very tearful since yesterday I feel worse now than I did before I went to see my doctor.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
I understand your concerns about the procedure.
I would have felt the same way if I were you.
But trust me, hundreds of endoscopies are done everyday and this is a very safe procedure.
You will not remember a thing.
They will give you an injection such as midazolam to help you with the procedure and will numb your throat as they pass the tube.
I am sure it will go just fine.
Try and relax as much as you possibly can.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is not answering my question. I already know that. My question was can i be put to sleep if I request it? I have heard some people that this can be done.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
General anesthesia (putting you to sleep, I believe ) is usually not done in this procedure so even if you request being put to sleep the doctors may not be able to do that in this procedure, although it can be done but it is unlikely that they will do it on your request.
An injection to put you to sleep like midazolam is something that they commonly do and this is what they will do but will likely not give general anesthesia.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me when you are done.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloIn fact, I am a board certified doctor and have dealt with this for years.In any surgical procedure, you have an IV that is placed before hand.There is no need at all for any repeat injections.They deliver the medication through a port that is already in your IV..You will NOT be dealing with needles at all other than the IV>They can relax you immediatelyYou will get an IV regardless, even if it were general anesthesia. So why would they do that? You will not get direct injections that you have to deal with.In addition, General would be more unsafe: they are not going to do this, and, you are not going to be aware of any injections anyway.OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You will have a canula inserted IV and will be given injections in your canula.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats what I'm afraid of. The insertion of the needle. Last time I had a blood test it made me feel faint and I was sick. Also the thought of knowing that I won't be a sleep frightens me.Why can't that put me to sleep first? I don't understand why?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
They will make you go to sleep.
You can request a pill like alprazolam before the procedure or before the needle to help calm you down.
So you can request your doctor for a pill to calm you down before the procedure.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me before you proceed.
Kindest regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help.Do you have any idea what is the waiting time is to get an appointment date?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
No, actually I do not.
Waiting time depends on the rush on that particular day or the number of patients on that day.