Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

I have had a UTI and was given a course of 7 day antibiotics.

hi I have had a UTI and was given a course of 7 day antibiotics. The UTI was (ecoli). It hasn't cleared it as I am still feeling sensations when I pass urine. I am 15 wks pregnant and my GP has just given me 3 days course of trimethoprim but I have just read the leaflet and it says all over it don't take if pregnant. Are there any other alternatives that can be taken during pregnancy as I am very worried about this. thanks
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, it is a very very valid concern that you should not be taking trimethoprim as it is not safe in first 3 months of pregnancy. Only medicine that is relatively safe but is not a first line or most effective medicine for E.coli is amoxicillin and other includes first generation cephalosporins. These two class of medicine are most safe and should be tried although these are not best medicine for e.coli but these are most safe ones, we may need to give them for more longer period around 10 days. Taking more water, cranberry juices are also very effective plus you can ask your doctor for citralka or urinary alkalinized which is not absorbed in cells and makes urine alkaline killing the bacteria... Let me know if you have questions, thank you.