Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have a habit of constantly playing with my tongue inside

Customer Question

I have a habit of constantly playing with my tongue inside my mouth, i normally move it up and down my mouth or move it around my teeth. I do it throughout the day, at work and at home. It really helps me to focus better or concentrate on something. I was just wondering can this be bad for your GI system in anyway??? Can it make your stomach believe that you are chewing and food needs to be digested? Can it hinder weight loss in anyway?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this question.I'm Dr. Phil and I'm ready to helpThere is absolutely no harm in doing this.It won't mess with your GI system at allYou will be fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi can you please elaborate...
Your stomach acid and digestive system is activated by your senses. Not by your tongue moving.For example, the thought of food, the smell, the sight or any other sense of food activates it. Not moving your tongue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi but doesn't chewing trigger a signal in the stomach to produce acids to aid digestion, like chewing gum for instance. And your tongue is involved in the chewing process...can the movement of the tongue make the stomach believe that you are chewing or preparing to chew...please answer my question in more detail, I paid extra for it.
No.Your mouth has to actually sense a piece of food in your mouth.Your mouth senses gum as a piece of foodIt is the actual food itself not the movement of the tongue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there any internet articles on this with more information...thanks.
I will check. Hold tight
I didn't find any specific studies on whether or not it is harmful but I did find several on it being an OCD related trait. So this could be a form of OCDAlso, there is some evidence that lycopene supplements might help with people who have other forms of facial ticks. So maybe it will work for this?http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26712377