Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Neary 18 mths ago i tore all the ligaments and tendons in

Customer Question

Hi neary 18 mths ago i tore all the ligaments and tendons in my left ankle,i have had first intensive,then sporoaic physio,im still on crurches,i can use one in the house and for v.short distances,but since it happened,i was told i would need an op or a cast to sort it immedietly (by an ortho dr),however the nurse that treated me after he left just put a bandage on and didnt even want me having crutches(i dissagreed as the dr had told me i would need them,my ankle was bent at a right ankle and severly swollen,i was in extreme pain and couldnt bear any weight) so i have been on crutches for almost 18 mths now,but still not booked in for an op dispite meeting the requirements that i can bear weight for a short while on it,iwould just like it sorted as i would like to be more active again,pls any advice would be great x
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As im paying and you are on line i would like an answer asap pls,(i dont mean to seem to be rude,but this has devastated my life)my funds are low but i live in the countryside and dont drive it costs me near £100 just to get to the hospital and back,ive now used all my savings,ive always worked until this happened or used my savings wen temp out of work but now no one will hire me
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
Sorry for the late response.
Did they have any tests like MRI of your ankle to have a look at the ligaments and to see the damage more clearly?
Please let me know.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi sorry for the late response my end too,my sleep pattern is up the wall as i still wake up in pain,they havent done an mri scan on my ankle but im pretty sure they did one on my head (i declined the morphine but had lots of gas and air ),xx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pls if youre on line can u help,im in agony again,my ankle has swelled up as i walked a short distance (the local shop) xx
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the late response as I was away from my computer.
You definitely need pain medications to help you with your pain. Have you tried using over-the-counter pain medications like ibuprofen to see if these help?
If not I would recommend using ibuprofen at a higher dose of 800 mg three times a day after meals or with milk to see if this would help with your pain.
In the long-term you will most likely require surgery.
There certainly was some mismanagement of your ankle in the beginning and I do agree that a plaster cast should have been applied at the outset which could have prevented your ankle from getting as worse as it is right now.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.