How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. SH Your Own Question
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 8770
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. SH is online now

My girlfriend is a 20yo girlfriend, keeps suffering sharp stabbing

Resolved Question:

my girlfriend is a 20yo girlfriend, keeps suffering sharp stabbing pain in lower abdomen, specially in the centre, shes not pregnant, she was tested for PID but found no evidence, she had ultrasound, internal ultrasound, X-ray, blood tests, the blood test showed infection (apparently), tested for STI's all clear, no pain during or after intercourse, no vaginal discharge of any kind, she gets a temperature, she gets period pains when not due on her period, headaches, tired, they found a little fluid on her abdomen but thought it was common, she's been checked for all of the things above, the doctors at our hospital, ran by the NHS (typical rubbish). She had no idea what's going on and NHS won't help as after a week being pumped full of antibiotics and pain killers she's better (for a short while).
Oh and she also had her appendix removed last time because they thought it was that, and it wasn't her appendix was fine!.
If anyone has any idea we're dying to know! She found a post by a girl of the same age with the exact same symptoms who was diagnosed with endometriosis so possibly that?
Please help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Endometriosis is a possibility but it is unlikely because ladies with endometriosis usually have other symptoms as well like painful sex, painful periods, painful defection among others.Plus, usually the scans that she has had, would have revealed something if it were that.The best test for endometriosis, however, is a laparoscopy if that is suspected.Can you please let me know if she has any bowel problems? How is her stool? Does she remain constipated or have loose stool?Please let me know.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The person who did the scans for her wasn't a proffessional in that department, her proffessional in pregnant woman she just took the results that came up and gave them to someone else,
She has had loose stool, but she doesn't check her stool so she isn't certain if there was blood or not, at the time she was in hospital she was constipated but that could've been because of the medication
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Well, I would like that a scan should be done by a profession or preferably a CT scan should be done which is superior than an ultrasound in having a look inside the stomach.Also, can you please let me know if her pain ever wakes her from her deep sleep in the middle of the night? Or that has never happened?Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it would be better for a ct the nhs are stubborn we might have to go private,
The pain does wake her in the night and also stops her from falling asleep when it's at its worse, she cries constantly when it's there and she also fainted one of the last timesThanks
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I would also like to consider and rule out other rare possibilities like acute intermittent porphyria by doing a urine test for porphybilinogens.Also a laparascopy (to have a look inside the tummy with a camera), may be well worth it, particularly if the CT scan comes back fine.Let me know if you have more questions.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here.Kindest regards
Dr. SH and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay we'll request this from a private, thanks for your help. I will kindly do so.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.
Please do follow up with me on this.
You can do so by specifically requesting a question directed to me and writing FOR DR SH ONLY at the start of the question.
Kindest regards