Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My aunt is in constant horrific pain and her GP + gastroentrologist

Customer Question

My aunt is in constant horrific pain and her GP + gastroentrologist have not been able to do anything about it. I am posting all of her symptoms + current medication below in hope that atleast you can tell me which specialist to take her to for this. We can go private as long as they can atleast diagnose what is wrong with her. Please please help.
She is 65 years old and has had depression for the past 30 years. She has an ulcer in the stomach and recently got a polyp removed from her stomach about a month ago which started bleeding and the doctor had to take precautionary measures which apparently worked.
Her symptoms:
Her throat feels like its closing up. Lips(specially lower one) have black spots which constantly hurt/burn. She has also has sore burning sensation in her tongue and throat. And constant bad taste in her mouth.
Both sides of neck are very sore and stiff. She has constant horrible pain in her neck, temples, head and jaw.
She constantly feels like she has fever with running nose and eyes. She also sneezes and coughs quite a bit. These symptoms get worse in the evening.
Her current medication:
- Fexofenadine Hydrochloride 180mg [email protected]
- Palexia Tapentadol 50mg 3 tablets a day.
- Zolpidem 10mg [email protected]
- Imapramine 25mg 1 in afternoon and 1 in the evening.
- Amlodipine 5mg 1 in morning
- Atenelol 50mg 1 in morning
- Mebeverine 135mg 3 times a day.
- Omeprazole - 20mg 1 in morning and 1 in evening.
+ Movicol etc for constipation.
Any help/guidance would be much appreciated. She is in constant agony. Please please help.
Many Thanks,
Ali
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this question Ali.It sounds like she might have autoimmune disease or fibromyalgia.This case, the best physicial to see would be a rheumatologist.I'm sure they are plentiful where you are at as this is a common specialtyDrugs like pregabalin or duloxetine might help a lot with her symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiI just had a chat with her about this. She also has coelic disease and has been to Rheumatologist. She has also tried both pregabalin or duloxetine in the past as well. Both of these medicines gave her a lot of stomach pain so she stopped. Do you think its worth she tries these same medicines again or are there are any other possibilities like having injections etc?Many Thanks,
Ali
I would try minalcipram or gabapentin in that case
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just had a chat with her GP and minalcipram is not available in the UK. Would you by any chance know how we can get this in the UK even if it means paying for it privately.
I am not sure about that. I'm sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you mean milnacipran instead of minalcipram ?
yes