Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

There,I developed a small lump on my thigh a few months

Hi there,
I developed a small lump on my thigh a few months ago, it hasn't really changed much other than maybe it's a little darker now. At first I thought it was an ingrown hair so I shaved around the area to see if it would make it better but it didn't. I've accidentally scratched it in the past which caused it to bleed but now it is back to the way it was.
From looking online I think it might be a dermatofibroma but I wasn't sure.
Obviously I am worried about this and would be grateful for your input.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In terms of its size it is about 0.6 cms
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS: Sorry I clicked on live call by accident, we can message here just fine.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The coloration of the lump is not consistent, so it would be appropriate for you to see your doctor to get this checked. The lump does not clearly look bad, but the recommendation for which lesions should be checked further are based on characteristics that warrant being checked, even in lumps that are not otherwise bad. If someone waits until a skin lesion is clearly cancer to see their doctor, the risk is much greater that the cancer has already spread. In this case, since the color varies across the lump, it would be appropriate for it to be checked. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,I'm a bit worried now.Are you referring to the different colour at the top of the spot? I think this is where I picked at it. Before this the spot looked the same colour the whole way through.Does it look like a dermatofibroma?
If the variation in coloration is from you picking at it, then it would be less worrisome. If uncertain, it would be appropriate to give it enough time for the area that was picked to heal and see if the coloration is consistent. It may be necessary to cover the lump with a small bandage to prevent further picking at the lump during the time of healing. Once it has healed, if the color is consistent across the lump, then it is not worrisome and can be followed like any other skin lesion. Yes, if the coloration is consistent, it would be more consistent with a fibroma.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know this might sound unreasonable but just for my sake of mind could you tell me how likely you think it would be a cancer based on what it looks like, I have regularly picked at it. The shape is round right and cancers tend to be more irregular? I barely get any sun or don't use tanning or anything like that how ever I did smoke for a year a while back, is skin cancer associated with smoking?How likely do you think it is a cancer out of 10?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And when you mean the irregular colour? Are you referring to the top portion? Doesn't it generally look to be the same colour in the central spot?
The risk of being cancer is low, probably about 1 or 2 out of ten, and if the color becomes consistent with healing, it would not even be this risk. The assessment of color is across the entire lump, but this is only one factor. You are correct that assessing lumps is best done by the ABCDEs - asymmetry, border, color, diameter, and evolving. The four other factors are not an issue in your case, but the recommendation is to be seen if any one is positive. The risk is greater when multiple factors are present, which is why the risk would be relatively low when only one factor is present. Smoking has a mild effect on the risk of skin cancer, but the far greater risk is sun exposure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you Doctor, I can at least get some sleep tonight. I'll book an appointment with a dermatologist as soon as possible but I'll wait to see it heal first.Thank you again :-)