Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had bunion surgery 2 wks ago. The pain in my leg (CALF)

Customer Question

I have had bunion surgery 2 wks ago. The pain in my leg (CALF) is unbearable for the last 3 days. Have I pulled something in the back of my leg or I am terrified I may have blood clots. I have rested it completely in the last 2 days and the pain has shown no improvement.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. It is impossible to determine over the internet whether this is muscular or a blood clot. Certainly, a pulled muscle or musculoskeletal inflammation are common. A blood clot is not a common occurrence after bunion surgery, but it certainly is possible. Although paracetamol is reasonable for relief of pain, it does not treat any underlying condition. It may be better to try an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. If the anti-inflammatory medicines helps to relieve the pain, then that would be good evidence that it is muscular rather than a blood clot. So, it would be reasonable to try ibuprofen or naproxen to see if the pain is relieved. But if the pain persists despite the anti-inflammatory medicine, it would be better for you to see your doctor for a proper evaluation. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If I can help you with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/