Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have been suffering with chest discomfort on and off since

I have been suffering with chest discomfort on and off since late teens I am now 48 and still have this issue. I have always struggled with exercise even as a child, during an 800m run I had severe difficulty breathing an chest pressure at 14 yr old and exercise fatigue when I was 8 or 9
I weigh 139, 5ft 4, ex smoker of 6 years, normal BP and 4.3 cholesterol
After long strenuous exercise and after short bursts of strenuous exercise, includes fatigue, palpitations, shortness of breath which can last for 2 days after prolonged exercise, more recently during a short burst of exercise I had soreness which seem to come from my windpipe, and after had nausea, sweating and very short of breath. I have no answer for all of this and have had all tests, these are the findings.
Partial RBB, Mild pulmonary stenosis, Systolic heart murmur, positive stress ecg st downsloping.
Normal Calcium, normal perfusion scan, normal CT angiogram.
Other: ANA positive, premature menopause at 32, 1 pregnancy 22yrs old.
migraines, tinnitus, mild asthma, allergies.
I have an appointment with my doctor o Monday about this issue, please advise on my next step.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Have you been evaluated by a chest medicine specialist?I think that the possibility of exercise induced asthma could be the cause of your symptoms i.e. shortness of breath.Has this possibility been considered and ruled out?Please let me know.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HelloI have been evaluated, Jan 2015, no answer to my symptoms. Not asthma tried inhaler doesn't help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I have recently had lung function tests and they were all ok, I had reversibility test and this was ok.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Have you had a CAT scan of your lungs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't, was supposed to have some sort of scan 10 or so years ago but was too ill to get to hospital.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there some sort of answer, I am having serious exercise problems the shortness of breath recently whilst exercising in the rain was the worst, with sweating and nausea.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I think that you should a CAT scan of your lungs to make sure it is normal.I still think that you have exercise induced worsening of your asthma and your symptoms of asthma only worsen when you exercise, even if your lung tests are normal.Your symptoms and history strongly suggests exercise induced asthma as the diagnosis.You will likely require bronchodilators prior to doing your exercise to see if that helps with your symptoms.I would also like that you should have an IgE test done as well.An additional test that enables your doctor to observe and assess symptoms is an exercise challenge. You will run on a treadmill or use other stationary exercise equipment that increases your breathing rate. This exercise needs to be intense enough to trigger the symptoms you've experienced. If needed, you might be asked to perform a real-life exercise challenge, such as climbing stairs.Spirometry tests before and after the challenge can provide evidence of exercise-induced bronchoconstriction.Let me know if you have more questions.Rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is either exercise induced asthma or angina that is my thoughts. Will my GP arrange these tests if I ask? how can I ensure I will get the right tests. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please just let me know what the IGE test will show, I have had what I think is anaphylaxis to penicillin
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up questions.Sorry for the late response.Angina is not a possibility since your CT angiogram was normal.So angina or a heart problem is ruled out.It is either exercise induced asthma or your airways are reactive to air during exercise.IgE is an antibody that is very high in people with allergies.This will give us an indication as to how severe your allergy problem is.It also will let us know if you will benefit for a specific medication called as omalizumab which is used in people with very high IgE levels in which other treatments have failed.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options as that is the only way I am paid on here.Regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
It is only when you rate me that I am credited by the website for helping you out.
The money that you have deposited is only released when you click on one of the stars.
I would highly appreciate it if you rate me.
If you have more questions do let me know.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you for your help I really appreciate it.