Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Almost 2 years ago my father was told that his kidneys

Customer Question

Hello. Almost 2 years ago my father was told that his kidneys were working at 20% and he asked the doctor what the prognosis was and he was told he would have about 3 years to live. He has been back recently and requested another kidney function test to see how things were progressing and was told that his kidneys were working at 69%. Surely this cannot be right. He is 75 years old.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Does your father have any other medical condition like high blod pressure, diabetes?BUN and creatinine level may fluctuate with time.Dehydration is a common cause of worsening kidney function.Hence improvement in hydration status can improve kidney function as well.However the test may not be accurate.Should be repeated.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/