Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

After a quad bypass, which was successful, I contracted an

Customer Question

After a quad bypass, which was successful, I contracted an infection which has troubled me for 3 years. I have been sent to see 18 "specialists" who have not been able to diagnose the problem.
After being at home for five days, I was again sent to hospital, suffering with pain in all parts of the body.
Many tests and scans were made, all to no avail. 3 times my sternum wound opened on sitting up in bed, and a copious quantity of a tan coloured liquid gushed out. The wounds were redressed.
I was discharged to home, still suffering much pain. I studied the information on statins and decided to stop taking them. After about three days the main pains disappeared.
I was left with pains that travelled round my body, causing problems in various parts of my body, generally for around 24 hours.
After a while I was able to inform my Doctor I was aware of a pressure in my chest, that appeared to be caused by a viscous liquid, which laid in my chest, and on sitting up, slowly travelled downward to the bottom of my chest. It took a little time to persuade her, but eventually I was sent to a chest specialist. On waking on the morn of the appointment, I found that an ulcer had developed on the wound.
A liquid sample was taken from the ulcer which was identified as staphylococcus aureus. 6 weeks on an antibiotic relieved the pains, but after a short period the pains returned and
so back to antibiotics. This cycle has continued, but with with a shortening cycle of remission.
During this later period, I have bent sent to 18 specialists, some with a single visit, and others with multiple.
My overall health has suffered badly, I have lost all my musles, I am not able to carry the lightest of loads, or to remove the tops of screw jars etc..I walk with two sticks, which is painful as my arm and hand muscles ache, my breathing is very shallow which also helps to restrict my "journeys" to a very short distance.
I am not steady on my feet and have fallen several times.
Other problem are :- Skin irritation; scabbed pimples on my arms and neck; irritating skin on back and waist; scabs in my hair.
For the last 2 weeks, I have been wearing a neck collar for a pain in my neck.
My eyes have been affected, and teeth rotting.
Before this started, I was weekly playing tennis; badminton; bowls and fencing, so I was quite healthy.
Can you help me please
Aubrey Crick. Aged 83
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.I am sorry that you have been having so many problems.Could you list the tests and scan that have been done along with the results?Was the Staph aureus that grew on the culture a sensitive strain or a resistant strain?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
many scans; mri scans
The latest my was of my head
Other many scans over 3 years. I have not always received results.
Others have nor led to any changes
Have you had any nuclear radiology scans?If so, which scans were done?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no, I don't think so
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I am asking about these scans because one of the primary concerns when someone is having recurrent or persistent infections is that there is a site at which the germs are able to persist despite antibiotics. This can happen because of an abscess, a wall off collection of pus, which antibiotics do not penetrate well and usually need to be drained to heal. It is also possible to have sites of infection in which there is some death of tissue, so that there is no blood supply to that tissue, and the germ can continue to grow because the blood carries the antibiotics and the cells of your immune system. This is particularly seen in bone infections, although can occur elsewhere. MRI scans are reasonable to try to identify sites of infection, but when MRI scans are unable to identify a site of infection, there are certain nuclear radiology tests that may be helpful. There are a couple of scans that try to identify where the body is concentrating white blood cells. The two most often done are tagged white blood cell scans or gallium scans. There also is a nuclear radiology scan that will specifically look for bone infections, which is called a bone scan. A bone scan is not specific for infection, but will look for areas of bone that are damaged or putting down new bone, and then further studies can be done to look at any sites that show abnormal activity. Another primary concern when someone is having recurrent or persistent infections is whether it is due to a resistant strain of the germ. There are specifically some resistant strains of Staph aureus that can cause infections that are difficult to treat. It also is sometimes difficult to get an accurate culture when culturing fluid that drains to the skin, since there are always many germs that grow on the skin. If a deep site of infection can be identified, then using a needle to aspirate infected fluid will usually generate a better culture. At this point, it would be reasonable to discuss these nuclear radiology scans with your doctor. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.