Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I had a bacterial upper respiratory infection two weeks ago;

I had a bacterial upper respiratory infection two weeks ago; I did not take antibiotics.For the last seven days I have had quite severe hearing loss and Tinnitus in both ears. I had a total Laryngopharyngectomy 13 years ago but very rarely get infections, last one four years ago. I have never had this problem, is this a normal side effect and if so a broad estimate of time before back to normal. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.It is common to have hearing loss and tinnitus with an upper respiratory infection.There is a tube that connects that ear to the upper backside of the nose.With a respiratory infection, at times these tubes get blocked which can cause one to have ear pain along with reduced hearing.This seems to be the most likely cause.Along with antibiotics decongestants like sudafed may help open up your eustachian tubes and help with your hearing.I would strongly recommend, though, that you be seen by an ENT doctor and be evaluated fully to be sure.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at the top right-hand-corner as that is the only way I am credited on here by the website for helping you out.Kindest regards