Dr. Leah
Dr. Leah, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  9 years of practice in Pediatrics
20280540

I have a throbbing dull ache in my teeth (wisdom & molars)

I have a throbbing dull ache in my teeth (wisdom & molars) that comes and goes, headaches near my sinus, constant feeling of mucus in back of throat, slight numbness on one side of my face, near my jaw where most of the tooth pain is coming from. Could I have a sinus infection? I went to my dentist in case it was an abscess but he said he couldn't see anything.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've also been getting chills and a bit of nausea that comes and goes and It feels like theres pressure behind my cheeks which I assume is causing all the discomfort to begin with.
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. Tooth pain is a very common presentation of a sinus infection. It is most consistent with either an ethmoid or cavernous sinus infection. Because these are deeper sinuses (behind the nasal cavity), the symptoms are different. The "cheek pressure" you are experiencing sounds suspicious for a maxillary sinus (both sides of the nose) infection. Sinus infections typically develop after a week of nasal congestion and post-nasal drip. Since you now have fever along with the symptoms you have described, you should see a doctor as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
And I've been pretty lethargic recently. It's been like this for maybe a week and a half. By about 1pm, no matter how much sleep I've had, I tend to be wiped out and can't focus until I take a break and have some caffeine.
I'm sorry you are feeling so sick. It is also concerning that you now have a fever. You most likely need to take some antibiotics and a good decongestant. Please try to see a doctor either today or tomorrow.
Letting something like this go untreated could be very serious. I've seen patients hospitalized for IV antibiotics for severe pan sinusitis.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi,Thank you for the quick response. My nose isn't congested or runny, so I thought it odd that there was constantly mucus in my throat. I don't actually have a fever. I've been checking my temp every day and it's more or less the same (36.6 oC) but then I'm suddenly freezing for no apparent reason, especially my legs, then back to normal again. I'm definitely going to see a doctor on Monday.
My pleasure! The mucous would still be considered "congestion." The "feeling" cold is probably your body trying to mount a fever. I'm glad you will seeing a doctor soon. In the meantime, you could take some ibuprofen for the pain you are experiencing. It might be a good idea to try some pseudoephedrine to reduce the mucous until you see the doctor.
Dr. Leah, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 9 years of practice in Pediatrics