Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
54412793

I'm 39+3 days pregnant and I have been losing my what I think

Customer Question

I'm 39+3 days pregnant and I have been losing my what I think to be mucus plug for a little while now I have once a few days ago had like a jelly consistency which was clear like normal but with streaks of blood in it; now I have been getting it clear again but has turnt to a yellowish colour today? Does this mean that labour could be close?
I went into the hospital aswell couple of days ago as was getting contractions and I was told I was in labour but wasn't dilated enough so was sent home to wait it out; the pains got closer and more intense but then just disappeared I've had a fee since then but nothing is happening? I have a lot of twinges down below everyday and terrible back ache aswell and also today a lot of side and hip pain,
Am I near to having my baby?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today. It does sound like you're really close but it's not possible to predict if it will be in the next 24 hours or in the next 3 days. Because you're already 39w3d, we can say that it's not likely to be much longer. But many women have a start stop pattern to their labor. Some even go to the hospital a few times before it's really time. You'll just have to wait for the contractions to get regular, every 3-5 minutes for a solid 1-2 hours before heading in again. If the bag of water breaks or if you have any worrisome signs you should head in sooner. Things such as bleeding, fever, baby not moving right, severe pain, those would be reasons to head in. I hope it happens soon for you. This end waiting can really wear on a woman. Often taking a hot bath can help. Please reply if I can clarify anything or add details. Good luck!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is my second child
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
In that case things can change pretty quickly. Often the labor will be less drawn out the second time around.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
I wish we could predict better.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Any other questions?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks and good luck!