Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My granddaughter aged 9 is an avid reader. A few months ago

My granddaughter aged 9 is an avid reader. A few months ago I noticed she was holding the book very close to her face/eyes and suggested she had a test for needing glasses.
Last week I was told by my son that she had been referred to a specialist as an X-ray(?) had discovered 'pigment' behind her eye.
She now tells me she's been getting blurred vision in one eye & can't see out of it very well.
She asked me if it could be 'cancer'. We are all very worried - she is exceptionally bright.
I don't understand what this 'pigment' means. Is it like a shadow on the lung or similar?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Pigmented lesions of the eye are usually not detected by x-rays. However, regardless of how it was detected, it is true that pigmented lesions of the eye can be cancer. Pigmented lesions can be benign or cancer. Benign lesions, such as nevi, are more common, but cancers also can occur. The only way to determine whether it is benign or malignant is to pursue a proper evaluation, and the visit with the specialist would be the appropriate next step.