Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My mother died in a NHS unit. She was nearly 92 and had renal

My mother died in a NHS unit. She was nearly 92 and had renal failure. From Wednesday until she died on Monday she had nothing to eat or drink - at her own request, and occasionally vomited black bile. Just moments before she died she went into a massive convulsion, balling her fists and screwing up her face. When I asked for some painkiller, I was told she had not been given any morphine. Just as she died, I saw her legs were black up to the knees. My question - did she suffer pain, or was the spasm just the muscles contracting as they were short of oxygen, as I was told, and she would not have felt her legs being cold. This has troubled me ever since her death. Please advise.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this question.I'm very sorry about your lossVery likely her body was already shut down at this point.It was probably just a reflex that was an indication that her body was totally shutting downI doubt she suffered much at all