Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Just over three years ago at the age of 48 I was told I had

Just over three years ago at the age of 48 I was told I had polymyalgia rhumatica. I started on 20mg prednisolone and slowly decreased. But after all this time I am still unable to completely stop them. When I get to 4mg or below I begin to suffer a range of debilitating symtoms, such as pains in hands that affect their function, and in my feet that can make some footwear unbarable to wear, and pain in other joints (sometimes the pain seems to move around). The cronic fatigue is such that some days I feel I don't even think straight, making silly mistakes at work I wouldn't normally do. And compounding that is the fact I am now going through the change, so some night I get barly 4 hours sleep. For instance, before all this started I never really had a problem with spelling and grammar . But now I feel almost dyslexic. Before sending this email I will have read it many times to correct the mistakes, but I am sure their will be something I missed. I used to be a sporty, fit person with bags of confidence, now a brisk wall is all I can manage. Now I feel the real me is becoming lost in this. My doctor seems to think its ok to keep taking the tablets at 5mg a day as that seems to be the most comfortable low dose. Is all this normal for this condition? Am I destined to never recover from this?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.PMR is a condition that can last for a long period of time i.e. years and years before it goes away and it may never go away and you may require the low dose prednisone i.e. 5 mg for your entire lifetime.So all this is normal for this condition but there still is some chance that your symptoms eventually may go away.I would try reducing the dose again after a period of six months to one year to see if your symptoms can be controlled at a lower dose i.e. 4 mg and then try reducing it again after every six months.This is going to be a very slow and tedious process unfortunately.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at the top right-hand-corner as that is the only way I am credited on here by the website for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My doctor is reluctant to prescribe a sleeping tablet to enable me to sleep better at night. I thought it might help with the fatigue side ot the condition, if I could sleep a more restful night. Is there a possible reason for that?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I totally agree with you.I would have given you something like ambien for you to sleep.I will definitely help not only with your fatigue but also with your pains.I do not know why he is not prescribing it.There is no apparent reason for that, that I can see.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at the top right-hand-corner as that is the only way I am credited on here by the website for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will ask again when I go for my 3 monthly blood test in two weeks. Thank you for you reply.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.It is only when you rate me is when I am paid by the website i.e. the money that you deposited is released to me.I would, therefore, appreciate a rating before you leave.Wish you all the best.Take careGoodbye for now :)