Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I am being suffering dry cough years....anything

I am being suffering dry cough for many years....anything can trigger cough...Like perfume smell,curry flavour smell,toothpaste,smell...The list is endless.
My consultant says that the lining in my throat is not protected naturally....and therefore all irritants can stimulate the cough.
There is no cure according to him other then just eat stick foods like honey to trap any foreingh matters...This might help according to him ...Plus he says you need to drink a small amount of water every half hour.
I am asking you for a second opinion as i am coughing 24/7...and really frustrated.
Can you help.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Dry cough can also be due to gastroesophageal reflux. Or GERD. You do not necessarily need to have heartburn to have this. It can be treated with many over the counter medications. One to try is omeprazole. You need to try it for a month, before deciding if it does or does not work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whats the treatment for GERD?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
I believe I stated that in the answer above. There are many otc and prescription meds that can be used. One otc med is omeprazole.