Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am being suffering dry cough ... I am being

I am being suffering dry cough for many...
I am being suffering dry cough for many years....anything can trigger cough...Like perfume smell,curry flavour smell,toothpaste,smell...The list is endless.
My consultant says that the lining in my throat is not protected naturally....and therefore all irritants can stimulate the cough.
There is nocure according to him other then just eat stick foods like honey to trap any foreingh matters...This might help according to him ...Plus he says you need to drink a small amount of water every half hour.
I am asking you for a second opinion as i am coughing 24/7...and really frustrated.
Can you help.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionHave you tried any meds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Every thing but nothing helps
This could be a neurogenic coughHave you tried a med called amitryptiline or gabapentin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really cannot remember....What are these medications anyway...
Neurogenic cough is when the cough reflex gets triggered and the reflex loop just keeps going on and on and on.It is hard to diagnose.These meds stop the reflex loop.It is worth a try
Thanks for this question.Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it.If you have more questions, just reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks....I will rate the answers and make an appointment with my G.P....To see where i go from here taking your advise into perspective...
Mr Raja.
You're welcome Mr Raja.Glad to help :)