Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I suspect I have aspergers. I'm 45 and female. I have learned

HI. I suspect I have aspergers. I'm 45 and female. I have learned quite good social skills but I do feel like I am acting and always have done. I have always had obsessions but I've tailored these to my job - I'm self employed now. There are certain types of people who I just don't get on with. I have a photographic memory - filing cabinet in head; memorise large chunks of text and can 'read' in my head. Memorised tube map. Have some repetitive patterns - certain cereal every day and worry if I do not have it in stock. Have shut downs and get social overload - panic attacks. What do youthink?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my email won't work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The proper diagnosis of Aspergers syndrome requires an extensive evaluation, including detailed psychologic testing. We had to deal with this issue with our daughter, when it was thought that she might have Aspergers syndrome, and she had to undergo several hours of detailed psychologic tests performed over several visits. She was ultimately diagnosed with PDD-NOS, another form of high functioning autism. So, the best that can be said over the internet is that it is possible that Aspergers syndrome could be present and that it would be appropriate to seek a proper evaluation. Within that context, if there was greater difficulty with social interactions that you have had to overcome. Many people have obsessions or specific areas of interest without having Aspergers syndrome. It is only when these obsessive areas of interest are combined with significant difficulties with social interactions that we start to be concerned about Aspergers syndrome. So, if you had significant difficulties with social interactions that you are now “acting” to hide, then there would be more of a concern about Aspergers syndrome, and it would be appropriate to pursue further evaluation. I would note that another perspective is that since you have done well up to 45 years of age without any problems that have led to an evaluation prior to this point, it may not be necessary to seek an evaluation. The primary reason to pursue an evaluation would be current symptoms that are causing difficulties. If you have learned behaviors to avoid social difficulties, then it is less necessary to pursue evaluation. In addition, the other reason to pursue an evaluation is if you feel that you want to know with more certainty whether you have the syndrome. If you are currently doing well and do not feel a need to know with certainty about the diagnosis, then it would be OK to not seek an evaluation. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - I did one of those tests on aspergers website and scored 36 when diagnostic criteria was 32 or more. But I think you are right - it just feels like a part of my identity has been discovered and it explains problems from when I was younger and in the workplace and possibly in my previous marriage. However, I don't go to a 'workplace' now and I eventually married my best friend and we are happy. I have a son who I suspect is aspie too but it doesn't cause him major difficulties - he changed schools and found a good fit and a quirky friendship group so I suspect it isn't worth the long diagnostic process.
Yes, if both you and your son are doing well, then it is fine to say that it is not worth the evaluation. However, if your son starts having difficulties, the threshold would be lower for considering an evaluation for someone that is still a minor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think, like me, he did have some difficulties in the other school and he has some problems with loud sounds, lights, too many people etc but he has learned, probably from me, that he can leave a situation where he feels uncomfortable or stressed. He has friends and is academically gifted. Thanks for advice.