Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My 5 month old baby has one pupil larger than the other...We

Customer Question

My 5 month old baby has one pupil larger than the other...We noticed at birth...she also had a traumatic birth and didn't breathe for 8 minutes...I have 3 children and from experience developmentally she seems normal and breastfeeds well...is this something to worry about? The eye with the larger pupil also wanders a little and the normal eye does not...she was an emergency section due to placental abruption after 36 hours of labour...They say she was far down the birth canal and they had to pull her out if that's relevant?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.He is most likely having what is called as Holmes-Adie pupil or Adie tonic pupil.This is not anything serious or anything to worry about and does not represent any particular problem.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am paid here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will she need any treatment or to see our gp for this? Thankyiu
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
There is no need to see any GP or anyone for this.This is a benign or a harmless condition.However for the peace of your mind you can mention this to your GP on the next visit.Regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am paid here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating.Kindest regards