Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm a male with thrush, I have been given daktarin to use twice

I'm a male with thrush, I have been given daktarin to use twice a day, it cleared up at the start of treatment but hasn't gone away some days as equally as red as the start. I have been using it for 3 weeks with no sexual activity.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The Daktarin is a good medicine to treat Candida, the germ that causes thrush. If it does not work, there are two main considerations. If there is a firm diagnosis of thrush, then it would be appropriate to use a stronger medicine against Candida, such as oral fluconazole. The other major consideration would be that the diagnosis was not correct, although whether this would be a concern is largely based upon the method of diagnosis. The most accurate diagnosis would involve a microscopic examination of a scraping or a culture. If the diagnosis was based solely upon the appearance, then it would be more of a question, and performing a more accurate method of diagnosis would be an appropriate consideration. So, if one of the techniques for an accurate diagnosis have not yet bee done, it would be appropriate to do so, but if the diagnosis is already firmly established, it would be appropriate to use oral fluconazole. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.