Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Am 58 year old female with ongoing gastro problems. Have just

Am 58 year old female with ongoing gastro problems. Have just had a week in Estonia & was surprisingly well. Old broken ankle injury gave me trouble whilst there & whole leg was very achy after flight home. Next day developed sudden cough, no cold or flu symptoms ie catarrh, one minute feverish next freezing cold. Very fatigued. I wear a Jawbone fitness bracelet & since Monday my heart rate has been all over the place when normally steady. Has reached 111 when resting. Feeling nauseous when I stand or move, OK when still. Cough is onky intermittent, but very rasping & almost to point of being sick. Last night I coughed up blood in foamy spittle. Same happened again this morning. Chest is very tight. Unable to get in to see a doctor at my surgery until mid March. Can see a locum doctor on an emergency basis if ring first thing in morning. Should I do this or am I worrying over nothing
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.It seems like you have caught an infection.Most of such infections are viral infections but considering the severity of your symptoms it could be a bacterial infection or a pneumonia.You must be seen ASAP in the emergency by a locum doctor or in the A&E department.You will likely require a blood test and a chest x-ray to make a final diagnosis and will likely require a prescription of an antibiotic.Considering that your chest is tight, if it is wheezy on examination you may also require a short course of steroid and oxygen therapy as well.So the bot***** *****ne is that I would recommend that you be seen ASAP to have this evaluated and to be sure it is nothing serious or anything to worry about.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am paid here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating.Kindest regards