Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I've had pain in my lower back /14 years following

Hi I've had pain in my lower back for 13/14 years following double hip replacement. Pain travels down one or both legs to feet. Had X-rays and MRI. The is a Tarlov cyst at the base of spine. But consultant doesn't think it would be causing chronic pain ehich can be extreme. Now suggesting I contact a functional neurosurgeon with a view to having an implant to control pain. Your opinion I am confused. Thank you. Elaine Jeens aged 65
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidusually Tarlov cysts are benign and usually don't cause pain.but they can sometimes irritate the nerves running down in the cauda equina in the spinal canal.Tarlov cysts can be symptomatic in some patients.I'm glad you are going to see a neurosurgeon.do you have the MRI scan report of your lower back?do you have the images of your MRI scan on disk you can upload?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I do have copies of X-rays and MRI. I am speaking to you on my iPhone though
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in uae. Abu Dhabi. I have been push from pillar to post over the years. No one has ever come up with a definitive answer for me so far.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it can be tough to do fancy computer work on an iphone.you might have to travel to larger university medical centers to see a neurosurgeon who can review your films and see if you need spine surgery or not.I'm glad you are going to see a neurosurgeon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure. I have medical insurance and could travel to uk. I'm not sure about the pain implants. What would be your take on them being affective
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
usually pain implants like spinal stimulators are used when spine surgery fails and you can't have any more spine surgery.or they are used if you can't have spine surgery.and after other options have failed such as physical therapy or TENs unit or pain pills are not working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On trams doll, lidocaine patches, Percocet among others. Physical therapy , acupuncture. No long term improvement.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I see.well, this is the time to see if spine surgery is right for you or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My neurosurgeon is not keen. Asking for yet more MRI s
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
your neurosurgeon may not be experienced enough in the lower sacral area which can be a difficult place to do spine surgeryyou may have to travel to the uk to find a neurosurgeon who is experienced in surgery in the sacrum if that is where the Tarlov cyst is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's in that area. I think I will have to find a competent surgeon I London. Many thanks Elaine
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcomeplease leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com