Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am a 57 year old female and I have been experiencing menopausal

I am a 57 year old female and I have been experiencing menopausal symptoms (in particular the hot sweats) for around 8 years. I have not had a menstrual cycle since September 2013 I was prescribed Evorel Conti patches on 12th Jan 2016 and applied my first patch on 13th. After 12 days my menopausal symptoms had subsided and all seemed great. On 29th January I had breakthrough bleeding which was reasonably significant for 14 days. It slowed to a slightly pinkish discharge for two days and then recommenced as a full menstrual cycle yet again. (Having to change around 3 times a day). I visited my GP yesterday who advised stopping the use of the patch. She did not offer any alternatives at this stage stating that she needed to be sure it was the patch that had caused the bleeding. She made a further appt to see me on 10th March and said that if the bleeding hadn't stopped, she would offer a gynaecological referral and a scan to rule out endometrial cancer. The mention of this was somewhat alarming as I have never encountered any problems with my reproductive system in the past and have certainly never experienced any breakthrough bleeding, pain or discomfort since being post menopausal.
The pharmaceutical leaflet accompanying the Evorel Conti patches does stress that breakthrough bleeding can occur during the first few months of use. Has my GP been a little over cautious or premature in taking me off these patches or could there be a bonefide concern that the bleeding is related to something far more sinister? My logic tells me it must be the patch that has caused this reaction but naturally I'm worried about the GP's suggestion. Could you please offer any kind of reassurance. Many thanks. Kindest regards. Jacqui Sage.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionDo you take any other medicine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not take any other prescribed medication but I do take calcium with Vit D, Vit C and a glucosomine product
I agree with you.I think the GP is being cautiousI would recommend staying off for now though until the gyne visit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My GP will not refer me until my return visit on 10th March and will only refer if the bleeding has not completely stopped. I'm expecting that it will as I'm utterly convinced that it has to be the hormone patch, rather than something sinister, that has initiated the bleed. I guess what I'm really looking for is reassurance in this regard?
Yes, I can reassure youI agree it is the patch