Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My mother ( 86yrs ) has been hospitalised and diagnosed with

My mother ( 86yrs ) has been hospitalised and diagnosed with heart failure. She had a stoke and also radiotherapy for lung cancer (now dormant) a year ago. She has been prescribed 6 tablets and each day she takes them (over 10 days now) she is getting worse and worse side effects. She is at the point where she barely walk and feels as if she is literally being poisoned. The side effects are horrendous. (severe diarrhoea, headaches, nausea, blurred vision, dizziness to the point she needs escorting even to the toilet, loss of appetite and cough. These are just some of them) Our doctor reduced 3 tablets by half but it has made no difference. She is feeling so ill. She has had problems with taking tablets for years but this doesn't seem to be taken into account. The tablets are digoxin 125mg, rivaroxaban 20mg, carvedilol 1mg, eplerenone 25mg, enalapril 2.5mg and bumetanide 1mg. The patient information says many of these tablets should not be taken with others she has been given.
I am at my wits end. I really don't know what to do as there is no way to speak to the hospital doctor for advice.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Is she under care of a cardiologist? Which tablets have been reduced to half? If you want to talk to me on phone, I am going to send you additional services offer as well. But you can proceed here as well. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she is under the care of a cardiologist but she is not due to see him for another 4-6 weeks. She only took these tablets two days before she came out so thy hadn't built up in her system. the tablets reduced were enalapril from 10mg to 5mg daily, bumetanide from 2 to1 mg daily and carvedilol from 2-1 mg daily
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your input. What are your questions and concerns about her problem? Moreover please mention that what are the most bothersome symptoms she is having? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is at the point where she barely walk and feels as if she is literally being poisoned. The side effects are horrendous. (severe diarrhoea, headaches, nausea, blurred vision, dizziness to the point she needs escorting even to the toilet (several accidents), loss of appetite and cough. These are just some of them) I need to know what to do to stop her having these horrible side effects
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. This is for sure that these medicines are actually causing these side effects. Yes you are right that most of these drugs interact with each other but still they can be given together with caution. The main culprit here is Enalapril and digoxin. Enalapril increases the blood levels of digoxin and causes nausea, diarrhea, dizziness etc. She might be having low blood pressure right now and that again is aggravating the symptoms. Lastly due to taking bumetanide with digoxin, her potassium and magnesium levels can be deranged and they cause and aggravates all the symptoms she has. The point is this that can you do anything on your own and should you do this. I am sorry but you shouldn't try much because that can have further bad effect on her health. Ideally you should take her to ER because these symptoms are quite alarming and she needs to be admitted in hospital. Her digoxin levels should be measured and further decision should be done accordingly. I wish her good luck and that she gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. you have confirmed my suspicions as to the main culprits. I will have to think hard about the next step as I know she would be reluctant to be hospitalised again.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome. Please try to convince her because these symptoms are alarming. Please remember to update me about her condition. My best wishes and prayers will be following you both. Regards.