DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have a bad rash, it did start originally with the odd red

I have a bad rash, it did start originally with the odd red dot on the back of my hands and lower back, about a year ago and went after a couple weeks, i thought it was a heat rash as i had a fever a few days before it started. I became ill again and it started up, rash went a couple weeks after, then i had a lymphnode removed due to a few things, then 2 weeks later my rash started to come back with a bad fever, but the rash started to come up on the inside of my elbows, all of my arms and then spread to the rest of my back making it ery itchy and red, and only had a few lumps. I went back to the doctors and she gave me selenium sulfide at 2.5% shampoo and told to use it as a bodywash, but leave it on for 10mins before washing off as she thought it was fungal. Day 3 of using this product and my legs started to become itchy and the rash started to burn. Day 7 was my last day of using the selenium sulfide and i was covered head to toe in this rash. Day 8 i went into the doctors again and found out i had an ear infection too and was give amoxicilan 500mg and told to take 1 3 times a day. Day 9 i ended up in accident and emergency because of how itchy i was and sore everything because, especially when a random point just above my groin had developed about 1cm wide in an oval shape and was hard to the touch. It then became sore a day later, and rash got worse and itching intensified. 2 days later another one on the inside of my groin developed and is really sore and gone black, and the one i had develope a few days earlier has now started to get a scab and flake. Today my rash has now gone from being on my back, arms, legs, chest and back of my hands is now on my buttocks, neck and palm of my hands. When i am cold i am itchy but little to no rash, get warm the rash gets worse and itching is really bad. The itching on my legs feels like burning as does my arms, my lower centre back always feels really hot and cold on the sides even with my rash. Ive been taking ibuprofin to help with my fever till today when i found out it can cause my rash to worsen.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HiPlease attach a picture.Given how this comes and goes it is allergic most lilkely.However, autoimmune rashes can act like this.Exposures.Or repeated infections. I can tell you more if you attach an image, but here is the bot***** *****ne.....the doctor needs to do a punch biopsy...a small piece of the rash is sent to the lab. This will help identify what it is from.Autoimmune diseaseInfectioneczemacontact dermatitisrare skin diseaseetc.That test is way overdue. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My back was recently pure red with dots, they were touching, i have been on a none penacilin based antibiotic for an ear infection (yellow tablet, smells of vanilla and has c1 stamped into it) and stopped taking ibuprofen about 2 days ago as i read it can cause a rash, and last night i covered everywhere i could reach in moisturiser and it helped with the itching, but still get cold and itching starts, or feels like bread crumbs being pressed into my skin on my back, get hot and same feeling. Im hoping the pictures that i can share help, the picture i had of my back wont upload due to size
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
OKThe antibiotic is much more likely to cause the rash.Any antibiotic.This looks like either an allergic or autoimmune rash.Rashes like this can also be related to infection.I would get off all medications as soon as you can.I would have your doctor send a piece of the rash to the lab if there is any question..Calendula is harmless. It is a homeopathic cream and can be applied dot by dot, 2 to 3 times a day for up to 3 days. Talk to your doctor immediately as well. Find out if you really need the antibiotic at this point.I would stop or switch.If you develop any new symptoms...to A&E OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finished the antibiotic sunday for my ear infection which a&e gave me to replace amoxacillin, and when a&e did blood tests they found nothing, ibuprofen i stopped about wednesday and replaced with paracetamol as i still have a fever and heavy night sweats, would you recommend stopping those too? I have to see a doctor on monday regarding some blood tests to see if i have arthritis so will try and make it a double
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I think it is the antibiotic.This can have a delayed reaction as you have.Paracetamol should be OK. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help, i will speak to my doctor monday and ask if they can send me for allergy tests aswell