Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I'm wanting to find some answers to my 28 yr old daughter

Hi, I'm wanting to find some answers to my 28 yr old daughter's debilitating condition. She has been unwell for 10 yrs now. Her GP writes: "She has marked mental health problems which have been diagnosed as mixed anxiety and depressive disorder, although she does not fit in to any specific mental health diagnostic category. At times she has been reviewed for the possibility of emotionally unstable or borderline personality disorder and more recently, the possibility of Asperger's Syndrome has been mentioned. However, whatever her actual diagnosis is, she really struggles to function in the world. She becomes stressed at very minor things and then her anxiety increases to the extent that she cannot function with normal day to day tasks. She currently lives with her mother and needs a lot of help and support to manage day to day activities but she really is in no position to undertake any paid work." I would add that her short term memory is very poor & sometimes non existent & that her social skills & sense of humour can be very inappropriate. She's had a variety of tests over the years. It's as if her condition is physiological and she has no control over it. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's seen several psychiatrists over the years, has been on anti depressants & for a short time anti psychotic drugs. Of her choosing she's now off all medication since August '15. Autoimmune tests '13 were negative. " In June 2014 she took a very serious overdose which resulted in her fitting and needing incubating on ITU for several days. " A brain scan was clear. Her GP advises that her condition is not 'bad enough' to warrant further mental health resource input & that what is available in her opinion is very limited. She doesn't know what else to suggest.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionAny other medical issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to wait for an informed answer from a neurologist. Many thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My above response was to Shantal's question. To Dr Phil, No other medical issues, no operations. Healthy pregnancy with a natural home birth without intervention.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was diagnosed as having Raynaud's at about 10 yrs of age.
She absolutely needs to see a rheumatology doctor. Can you go private?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We don't have private medical insurance. We are UK based. Can you please advise what a rheumatology doctor would do & I can request a GP referral. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you thinking her condition could be autoimmune related?
Yes, I am. I think it absolutely is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your suggestion above. I'm now able to send you information from my daughter's previous consultation with a consultant neurologist, January '13. She was referred because she was having blank episodes, which I am pleased to say have now greatly diminished and all but stopped. It includes autoimmune test results from January '13. I don't know what any of them mean other than that they are mostly all negative. Antinuclear antibodies and NMDA receptor antibodies both negative. IgG negative. IgM slightly raised at 9.2. Subsequent beta 2 glycoprotein and lupus anticoagulant both negative so previous antibody result disregarded. MRI brain scan looked normal. Thyroid function normal. No evidence of any skin, arthritic, ulceration or inflammatory disorder. EEG is said to show some non-specific sharp waves but there are no epileptiform changes. Basic blood investigations only show an intermittent mild neutropenia hence additional autoimmune tests above. I have an appointment to see my daughter's GP on Friday. Can you please advise if the above results throw any more light on possibilities in your opinion & also, what other sorts of tests and investigations would a rheumatology doctor do?
would you mind accepting additional services?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would prefer not to pay more money having already paid £32. I've just seen a quote for £13 to have a question answered by a neurologist on the same site. It previously said you continue to ask questions until you are satisfied.
No problem. Lets continue. what questions remain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did ask before what a rheumatology doctor would do. Thank you.
They would do additional autoimmune testing.Also, there are many autoimmune diseases that won't show in the bloods.A rheumy is needed for this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Do the above results suggest or clarify anything to you or simply confirm that more autoimmune tests are needed?I will take this to the GP on Friday & let you know what she says, if that is alright with you.
No, it just means that some things have been ruled out.That is fine to contact me back here but I would appreciate a positive rating You have my word I will still help you after
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Much appreciated. Thank you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Question mark not intended. Sorry.
no problem. please don't forget that positive rating for me
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spoke with my daughter's GP on Friday. She has written her up for some routine blood tests + some autoimmune ones e.g. Connective tissue. She says that unless there are any physical signs she would not be able to justify referring her to a rheumatology doctor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll be away now until Thursday.