Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My granddaughter, aged 25, has had a breast abscess

Customer Question

My granddaughter, aged 25, has had a breast abscess for nearly one year and nothing seems to shift it. She has had countless courses of antibiotics and it has got to the point where it is weeping daily. When one area heals, it simply starts weeping in another area. Her hospital consultant is refusing to do anything other than insist she gives up smoking for two months. Are hospitals allowed to refuse healthcare on such tenuous grounds! She is in constant pain, is losing her confidence and is thinking of giving up work as she is so tired. I'm concerned she could get sepsis!! She has almost been told that they won't do anything unless she does get sepsis!!! This could overwhelm her in a matter of days as she is so run down after such a long time. I've recommended she gets a second opinion but her mother believes that if you get a second opinion (namely from a private hospital), the NHS will refuse to treat her anyway. So it is Catch 22 situation. I can't believe that a doctor could treat a young girl in such a hard-hearted fashion. She no longer goes on dates as she feels no man would want to see weeping wounds! Your advice would be very much appreciated as I am now desperately worried about her. Thank you. PS: I have had a double mastectomy due to cancer, as has my sister- we are both blood relatives. Should this not ring alarm bells?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionI'm so sorry she is going through this.This a bad situation but I think she needs to go private.This might not be an abscess sometimes breast or skin cancer can present like thisIt needs another set of eyes on itGo see a surgeon privately
Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)if you have more questions, just reply