Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

My daughter is 4 months pregnant, her uncle has shingles since

my daughter is 4 months pregnant, her uncle has shingles since last Monday, we have family mass on sunday, is it safe for her to attend ...thanks
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Shingles is caused by the chicken pox virus, and is contagious. Contact with the shingles area can cause chicken pox in someone who is susceptible.It will be safe for your daughter to attend mass, as long as she has no contact with her uncle.Most of us have either had chicken pox or had a vaccination. If that's true of your daughter, then she is highly unlikely to get chicken pox.Chicken pox is dangerous for the fetus if the mother gets it late in pregnancy, but not so dangerous at 4 months. However, she should still avoid contact with her uncle. It could be spread by any contact with the shingles area, or by skin contact with him anywhere he has touched the shingles area. Best regards.
Thank you for your payment and rating.