Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a 3 week old baby boy. He has very swollen .

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 3 week old baby boy. He has very swollen boobs. And one is very hard. He doesn't seem to be in any pain. And no temperature. My husband took him to our doctor yesterday. Who has never really seen anything like it before. And said there was milk coming out of them. He suggested that I stop breastfeeding for 7 days to see if they went down. (Process of illumination). But I really don't want to do that if I can help it. As breastfeeding is very difficult as it is. There is alot of advice online. Saying it is very common & will calm down. But equally don't want to ignore my doctor?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Swelling of the nipple areola complex in new born babies is a very common thing. It is because of the maternal estrogen circulating in their blood. The maternal estrogen eventually finishes in the first 3 months of life. That is why in some babies, during the first few weeks after birth breasts enlarge and also secrete milk.This has nothing to do with you breast feeding the child. You can continue the breast feeding. It will not increase or decrease the breast swelling in the baby. This swelling will eventually go down by itself within a couple of weeks time.And I would suggest you take a Pediatrician's advice instead of showing him to a PCP for this.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes.