Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My legs have been feeling tired and heavy and i have been getting

Customer Question

my legs have been feeling tired and heavy and i have been getting pins and needles in the soles of my feet
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query,This is known as periperhal neuropathy. There are many causes, but most commonly cause can not be identified and these kind of peripheral neuropathies are called idiopathic.However, the best course of action is to see your PCP. A series of tests need to be run starting from a thorough examination. X rays of the lower lumbosacral spine (2 views), nerve conduction studies, electromyograms (NCS and EMG) are the important ones. Causes like Hypothyroidism and vitamin B 12 deficiency can be ruled out by thyroid function tests and vitamin B12 levels respectively. Diabetes, hypertension and vascular insufficiency can be ruled out by doppler ultrasound of the lower limbs and blood tests for sugar levels.When a cause is narrowed down, the proper referral is made to the concerned specialty for definitive treatment.In the meanwhile, your PCP can start you on symptomatic relief which entails prescription of nerve membrane stabilizing agents like Gabapentin or Pregabalin. These take care of the symptoms. Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes,