Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Can anyone help me regarding tackling the really embarrassing

Customer Question

Can anyone help me regarding tackling the really embarrassing problem I have of chronic bad breath?
I have had this issue for many years now, I've tried many remedies recommended online, I also have excellent dental hygiene so it's not that - it's coming from my stomach or oesophagus.
I have now just arrived for a work conference abroad and three people in my taxi noticed it - it was just embarrassing. I have to now talk to people constantly for four days - it's my absolute worst nightmare due to my breath.
I am drinking lots of water, but it just doesn't stop the putrid smell coming up.
I did drink a few glasses of wine last night so was a bit dehydrated this morning, but it shouldn't cause the sort of smell it does.
The point for me now is to be able to get through the next few days as best I can given the circumstances. I will drink lots of water and no alcohol, I will also try to avoid spicy foods though it's hard at a conference - you eat what u r given - however I would just like to have some other advice if possible.
I went to see a specialist and he said I may be phobic about it but after three visible repulsed reactions today I can assure u I am not.
I would also like some advice for the long term. It has caused me to lose two partners, and I have also very few friends, mainly because of it.
Feeling really down at the moment, scared stiff of facing the next few days frankly.
Thanks in advance for your help,
Paul
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query,As you are suffering from this issue for long time with no improvement, cause of this problem is very important to identify as there can be many reasons for this. It can be because of gum or dental issue and other causes include chronic acid reflux, liver or kidney disease, lung disease or fungal infection of mouth. I would suggest you should visit periodontologist for thorough examination of your mouth and fungal tests and get base line liver and renal functions tests to rule out those causes. For now i would suggest to use a good antiseptic mouth wash from nearby store and rinse your mouth with it whenever you go out. You can keep a cardamom in your mouth. Take plenty of water. avoid smoking and use fluoride rich toothpaste. Do get screening for diabetes as it can be one of the factors that can cause bad breath.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.