Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My 7 month old son recently climb out of his cot (not yet lowered)

My 7 month old son recently climb out of his cot (not yet lowered) and fell on his head to the floor. He vomited once in 24 hours and then again after 3 days post fall. Should I bring him to the a&e?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. It is not normal to have vomiting after a head injury. Even third day vomiting is concerning. Please take him to A & E without a second thought. He needs immediate evaluation. I wish him good luck and that he gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already did after the vomiting within the 24 hrs of his fall. I should monitor for persistent vomiting rather than a one off. How do i know if theres a serious head/brain injury?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. Vomiting itself after 3 days is significant. Sometime it take 3 to 5 days for the bleeding inside to show up. Other concerning symptoms are excessive crying, persistent vomiting, drowsiness etc. Please get him seen rather than monitoring. I wish him good luck and that he gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the things doctors will look out for if I take him to the a&e?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
They will look for rigidity in his neck and will do a CT scan of brain because that is the gold standard. I wish him good luck and that he gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aside from that one of vomiting, he is absolutely himself, active as ever, and the vomit was very little (2 hrs post meal). What if there is indeed a brain/injury?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
There is a possibility of brain injury here. Even if it is not there, a checkup is mandatory. For such a small baby who can't express his symptoms, you can't take a chance. I wish him good luck and that he gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards