Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am taking Zoloft 200mg daily and resperdal 2 mg daily and

I am taking Zoloft 200mg daily and resperdal 2 mg daily and cipralex 15 mg daily and as well was on Saint john's wort for three years one pill daily .. Lately I could not find Saint John's Wort that lessened my depression well , in the pharmacies in Riyadh and I am thinking of taking a herb supplement instead , what is best ,, I am thinking of Sam-e does it have any interactions with SSRIs
Thanks for your answer
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query, Although SAM e has a role in depression and studies suggest good results taking SAM e with SSRIs in resistant depression but we always recommend to talk to your treating doctor before taking this supplement specially if you are already taking SSRIs as dose adjustment may be required depending on how your body reacts to the compound and even it can lead to mania if taken in adjunct with SSRIs. So you can take it but do inform your doctor that you have added SAM e in your treatment regime.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.