Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

L am 56 just been diagnosed with diverticulitis I have quite

Customer Question

Hi l am 56 just been diagnosed with diverticulitis I have quite sever lower abdo pain and cannot go the toilet. I also have no appetite at all l eat next to nothing and have lost weight. Can you suggest an appetite tablet of some kind and how long do l leave it before I need to open my bowels
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.It will help if you could provide some additional information.What did your doctor prescribe to treat the diverticulitis?Is the lower abdominal pain significantly better or worse than it was when the diverticulitis was diagnosed?Are you having any vomiting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy because a could not empty my rectum properly that's when they found it. Then l had a barium enema to see the rectum, back in early November. I still have not seen the specialist. The pain is much worse as I did not have pain only discomfort on emptying my bowel. I feel sick, no appetite for the last three months and have last weight only half a stone I am now just under 9 stone
Thank you for the additional information. The term, diverticulitis, can be used to describe two different disease conditions in the colon. Diverticulitis can refer to a serious infection of a diverticulum of the colon, and this is a serious condition that usually needs antibiotics and may need surgery (it actually frequently needed surgery before may of our good antibiotics were discovered, but currently only rarely needs surgery). Diverticulitis also can be used to describe a chronic condition of the colon in which diverticuli are chronically irritated and inflamed. This is not an acute infection, and frequently has no infectious component, so also frequently does not require antibiotics. Since your doctor did not prescribe any medicines, you apparently were suffering from the second type of problem. However, it is possible that someone with chronic irritation of diverticuli can develop an acute infection, which would then be the first type of problem. The key symptoms that would raise concern about whether this progression has occurred would be a sudden severe worsening of the abdominal pain or having systemic signs of infection, such as a fever. I also ask about vomiting because having significant vomiting would also be a concern. This can occur with an acute infection, but it also can occur with a blockage of the intestines, as a blockage will cause everything to back up and vomit. Feeling sick is not as worrisome. So, it is a good sign that there is not a significant amount of vomiting. It is also important to note that someone that is not eating much also will not form much stool. Ultimately, the primary component of stool is undigestible components of the food, and if there is no food, there is nothing from which the body can form stool. As for the appetite, there is no direct treatment of the appetite that will usually work in this situation. The usual approach to increasing the appetite is to manage the underlying disease process. For someone with chronic diverticular disease that is having difficulty having a bowel movement, the usual intervention would be to use a fiber laxative or a stool softener. If this is not helpful in having a bowel movement and easing the lower abdominal pain, it would be appropriate for someone with significantly worse abdominal pain to be seen again. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.