Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My 14 year old daughter was recently diagnosed as Insulin resistant.

Customer Question

My 14 year old daughter was recently diagnosed as Insulin resistant. She is at the top of the BMI range for her age but is not obese. She is a competitive swimmer and trains 13 hours a week. After being told that she should exercise more and eat healthily I sought advise from a dietition who agreed that my daughter had a well balanced diet! I don't know where to go from here if she exercises regularly and has a god diet. How can I stop her becoming diabetic? her energy levels are suffering and her ability to sleep well is affected. What has caused her to become insulin resistant and how do I reverse this problem?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionI am suspecting this is a hormonal issueShe absolutely doesn't need to diet/exercise more.I am suspecting she is developing PCOS. Polycystic ovarian syndrome. This is where the ovaries have multiple cysts and it can cause insulin resistance. I would get her in with a GYN or her GP and get her tested for this.