DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have had pain in my right hip and upper outer thigh

I have had pain in my right hip and upper outer thigh for the past 6 months, at first the pain was only felt when I flex my knee towards outside of my body but now it is painful even without doing that although it gets elevated when I flex my knee outwardly, Usually Ibuprofen is helpful to ease the pain , I visited my GP who could not clearly diagnose the cause and advised me to take Ibuprofen for a couple of weeks , but it is still painful which gets worse by certain movements and sitting , in my family we had a history of Ewing sarcoma , I am very worried and because I am busy with my studies I could not see a specialist yet ,
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HiThis can be many thingsAs most GPs do not know, pain from the lower spine can refer in this distribution. This means a probable disc problem.In most cases the correct physical therapy takes this.A combination of arthritis in more than one area could do it, but I don't think this is the case give your age. You need to have your GP send you to a non-invasive orthopedist, who will diagnose this exactly with hands on orthopedic exam, which is what is required. Anything else is an educated guess.Of course tendon and ligament strains can do this as well. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response , is the fact that pain is usually felt by certain movement a strong indication of a non-serious condition ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
NoIt is typical of musculoskeletal pain, almost by definition.every thing I said above applies even more so given that symptom.Please click a positive rating on this page.Then come back as needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so it could be a serious condition ? Right ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Very unlikely.I think it is a correctable condition.It can become serious if you just take meds and don't address it.Positive rating? Top of answer page, see the skill. That is how we are paid along with bonuses and accepted additional services offer.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.