Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Last Sunday I had been out with friends but towards the end

Customer Question

Last Sunday I had been out with friends but towards the end of the evening things turned sour with one bloke he hit me on the left side back of the head which knocked me unconscious when I came round he had also stamped on my face. Since this incident I am havin serve dizzy spells and very heavy headaches. Can you help please
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Is the dizziness a spinning sensation or a sensation of lightheadedness
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's hard to determine it's like i'm struggling to keep my balance
There are several issues to discuss in this situation. In general, anyone that has had significant head trauma that has caused unconsciousness and then continues to have significant symptoms should be checked by their doctor. Depending upon the findings on exam, it also may be necessary to obtain an imaging test of the brain. However, there are a couple of interventions that may be able to help until you are able to be seen. For the dizziness and sense of imbalance, it may help to take certain antihistamines that suppress the inner ear. The medicines that are available over the counter varies by country, but commonly used medicines include meclizine or dimenhydrinate. Even diphenhydramine has some level of benefit for suppression of the dizziness. It is fine to continue to use pain medicines for relief of the headache until you can be seen. It is fine to continue the paracetamol and codeine, if it is effective. It also may help to augment with an anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wouldn't you stipulate that I visit AE first with a head trauma. As i'm pretty sure the doctors will say I need a scan
Most people do not need to be seen in A&E if a week has passed since the head trauma. The only reason to be seen in A&E is if the symptoms are severe or suddenly severely worse and cannot be relieved with home interventions.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Went to gp found blood in my left ear so referred me straight to a and e for ct scan. I have a sractured skull so been referred to specialist now ūüĎé
OK. As I said above, there were some findings on exam that warranted getting a scan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thank you for you time Dr love,I have now learn to go straight to AE if I experience another head trauma. I'm pretty sure in this case things could have been more serious.Take care
You too.