DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am panicking again I have just taken the post from

Customer Question

Hello I am panicking again I have just taken the post from my postman and I pricked myself on a staple poking through an envelope, my finger bled and I saw there was blood on the envelope (not from me) if the postman had done the very same thing before me and pricked his finger on the same staple could I be infected with HIV, also I sneezed and put my finger into my nose, with the same hand that had touched the blood on the envelope, can this be a risk ? I am worried that I need testing from the staple prick and the blood on the envelope. Please reassure me on Both accounts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also my teenage daughter have there friends over and my 23 year old son now sometimes my toothbrush is not in the right place and I am sure one of them may have used my toothbrush is this an HIV infection risk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also why going to the shops, I scratched my head on some overhanging thorns, lots of people walk past these bushes if someone had scratched themselves before me could I have HIV infection from this? And while cleaning my kitchen I clean the knife rack and cut myself on the point of a knife, now if the lady that helps me clean did the very same thing as me is this an HIV infection risk to??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please can you answer each question separately
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also while gardening someone had thrown a safety pin into my garden I didn't see it and as picked up the leaves I picked the pin up and it pricked my finger is this an HIV risk too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I caught my arm on a door lock and my arm bled, if someone else did the same before me is this an HIV risk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today I also lick a yogurt tin foil top, it was sharp and cut my tongue, if someone in the shop had cut there finger would this be an HIV infection risk , and if a cat scratched someone then me is this an HIV infection risk??I feel that my anxiety is out of control so I understand why no one is answering this.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThere is no risk at all here.You need to get treatment for the anxiety. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr David, I have been really trying hard to do CBT on my own and I have rang to see if I am further up the list, and I am three months away from treatment! It is very hard doing it on my own. Today I started doing to prepare the shower room for decorating and there were nails something I was always scared of due to them being sharp and OCD about sharp things spreading HIV, but I carried on. But I did panic about one thing while cleaning out makeup baskets I found an old sanitary towel which had been used, which was disgusting I know, my teenage daughter has friends over and I have people using the bathroom when they come including my hairdresser, I DID NOT have rubber gloves, and picked it up with my bare hands, now I could have had a cut on my hand or rubbed my eyes, and wiped myself after going to the toilet, do you think I could have contracted HIV from this sanitary towel with blood on it??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please could you reassure me that I have not contracted HIV from this sanitary towel and also if I pricked myself on a nail that is not a risk. But I am having a difficult time coping with the sanitary towel exposure.
Thankyou Dr hopefully when I eventually get my CBT you won't hear from me again.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
NoThere is no risk at all. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if there is blood on a envelope and a pen was on the blood stained envelope and I then accidentally poke my eyes with the pen, the blood on the envelope would not transfer the blood to the pen and then to my eyes?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
No.The hiv virus is dead outside of the body, within seconds.This would not be a direct transfer of blood.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And the pen would not be able to transfer the HIV virus from the envelope to the pen and then to my eyes??
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
NoPlease click a positive now.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also dropped my earring where my husbands shoes were when he wore them to the Accident and Emergency with my mother and there was a lot of blood and a sanitary towel on the floor outside the doors of the A and E, we all had to walk past there, would by dropping my earring where his shoes were be a risk of HIV, to try and do CBT myself I did pick the earring up and put it in my pierced ear, but I am worried that I have infected myself with HIV.
Please answer me and I will rate excellent and finish this thread.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If a HIV person pricked themselves on a staple pin and I did so straight after, is counted as a direct route of infection and be an HIV risk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also with the blood on the envelope, if I caught myself in the eye with the envelope with the blood on it, or had a cut on my hand is this direct route of the HIV virus?? And would I need testing??
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
You are now making stuff up. You did not even do this!!!In any case the HIV would be dead already.What you need is as follows:A good internal medicine doctor to see in person.A psychologist for cognitive behavioral therapy so that you don't keep doing this...and so that you don't suffer this way.Good luck.You can find me by request in medical.You need to do so with a complex question and answer [detailed] set up].Or, see my additional services offer here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I annoyed you Dr but I have not made this all up, I just need help and I don't want to be this way. I am trying hard to get help I really am, but in England Mental Health is not a priority in the NHS and funds are short. I just need to know one more thing and I promise you will never hear from me again. When the envelope with the blood arrived in the I held that particular envelope in my mouth while I picked up the other post, I then had a yogurt and licked the foil top and cut my tongue, could the blood from the envelope be in my mouth and then transfer into the cut on my tongue from the foil lid and transferred HIV virus? Goodbye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please just answer and I will close down my account so I won't keep annoying everybody.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
OKThis is really bad.You are in very bad shape mentally.You are not annoying me.I am very concerned about your anxiety disorder.And your GP can refer you to a psychologist /psychiatrist and that should have been done a long time ago.You should not worry about annoying anyone.You should be very worried about being in this state, as it causes you to suffer.And, it is irrational. If you were really concerned about HIV, it is very simple to have your doctor test you, period.The problem with this type of psychiatric disorder is that you get caught in a cycle called secondary gain.You get a minute or so of relief when someone tells you you don't have HIV. Then you are right back at it.......Because you have not addressed the underlying anxiety.So, re assurance is a catch 22, a minute of relief, then reinforcment of the behavior. No, you don't have HIV.Get some help now.Come back as needed.See my additional services offer and we can go into the anxiety problem, if you care to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I don't need testing for HIV.
The envelope with the blood on it the virus would be dead?
So it doesn't matter that I cut my tongue after holding the envelope in my mouth, because the virus would be dead anyway?
And yes I have informed my doctor today that I need help as soon as possible.
Goodbye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I doing right by saying the virus is dead
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
The virus would be dead. I already told you this. But, you are not going to believe me for any length of time. Good, you need to see your doctor.Your doctor can do HIV testing if it would put your mind at rest, but that is not likely, as you need therapy.You have not been exposed to HIV.See my additional services offer: we are only paid per rating, for bonuses, and for accepted additional services offers, not for our time.Thanks.Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou Good bye Dr
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
anytimeany questoins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I opened a letter today from a gay friend and it had a sharp staple pin and I pricked my finger on it if they had prick their finger before me is this an HIV risk, they could be HIV positive. Or is this just a stupid worry?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HiYou can accept my additional services offer here, or you can find me by request in medical.