Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My son was prescribed 10mg Seroplex (Escitalopram)

My son was prescribed 10mg Seroplex (Escitalopram) by our french GP It is sold in the UK under the name Cipralex. When we returned home, our local GP gave a repeat prescription of 10mg Escitalopram by Mcleods. Is it possible that my son would react differently to that prescirprion even though it should be same medication?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. It is very unlikely that your son will respond differently when taking the same drug manufactured by two different companies, even if the two different companies are in different countries. All medicines also contain inactive ingredients, and the inactive ingredients may differ form one company to another, but it is very rare for people to react to these inactive ingredients. It is possible, though, that certain inactive ingredients may cause a reaction in someone that is sensitive to that substance. For example, some people may be sensitive to certain dyes that may be used to give the pills their respective colors. So, it is far more likely that your son will react identically to both medicines, but there is a small possibility that he may respond differently. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The inactive ingredients do seem slightly different, but if I understand you correctly, that should not affect the effectiveness of the anti-depressant itself? But should I ask our local GP to switch him to Cipralex by Lundback to be sure - if possible?
Yes, that is correct. The inactive ingredients will not affect the response to the antidepressant. If he is one of the people that appears to be adversely reacting to the drug from a specific company, then it would be appropriate to ask his doctor to switch him to the drug from a company to which he does not adversely react.