Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My husband was discharged from hospital two weeks ago after

My husband was discharged from hospital two weeks ago after having bilateral pneumonia and swine flu and on Ecmo machine. He has now developed a heavy cold and I am so worried that he will get sick again. He has developed a lot of mucus but feels ok apart from usual cold symptoms. Should he have any treatment to keep him well I am scared he will need ventilation again I nearly lost him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is on amlodipine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are in UK
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidgiving his history, yes, he should get some treatment to make sure he gets better from his coldhe could benefit from guaifenesin to help break up the mucus in his lungs to make it easier for him to clear out of his lungs.he might need a course of steroids to help decrease inflammation in his lungs.he should get his sputum cultured to check for bacterial infection in the lungs.his GP doctor can do these things for you if you ask for them.guaifenesin can be purchased over the counter. he should make sure to drink plenty of fluids.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much, his lungs are still not great and his kidneys did fail and he has had dialysis, he is also using steroid nasal spray and just finished course of flucloxacillin for skin infection at ecmo site. Will steroids affect his kidneys . I don't think gp will culture his sputum due to the cost to our national health service.Should I look for any signs of him getting worse . I am so frightened I am not sleeping and we have a three year old little girl
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
if the sputum becomes green, or smelly, or purulent, then it needs to be cultured.you need to sleep too or else you will get sick with this cold.make sure everyone washes their hands frequently with soap and water to prevent infection spread.zinc supplements can often help shorten viral cold infections.zyban makes a zinc nasal swab which can help.steroid nasal sprays are only good for allergic rhinitis. if he doesn't have allergies, I wouldn't use steroid nasal sprays.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the gp refuse to.give steroids can I insist on them and is he at more risk now from developing pneumonia again worse than before . The more mucus he has is that what causes a relapse . Sorry for all the questions I promise it's the last one ­čśö
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
he should not develop pneumonia if you use guaifenesin and if he takes deep breathshe should need steroids only if he gets better but has a persistent dry cough after his cold.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so.much you have really helped,I shall ring gp first thing . Have a good evening